Latest developments on the head coach front

By
Updated: May 27, 2015

With Slaven Bilic all but announcing his departure after last weekend’s derby loss at the hands of Galatasaray, speculation has already started about his potential successors.

Sports journalist Firat Günayer revealed on Twitter last night who the main candidates for the coaching job are and also some additional information concerning next season’s squad formation.

Certain members of the board have floated the names of Jorge Jesus and Eric Gerets. But that the two main candidates are still Mircea Lucescu and Şenol Güneş.

Mircea Lucescu revealed last week that he’d be staying with Shakthar Donetsk for atleast another season, however he has still held meetings with Beşiktaş officials since this statement. Club President Fikret Orman has been working hard to meet Lucescu’s steep demands.

Firat Günayer said that in his opinion, Lucescu is still a very difficult subject and the chances of acquiring his services seem slim. In the end it all revolves around money, Lucescu will demand a certain transfer budget, etc. which will make it very difficult for the Black Eagles to meet his demands. In the end, if Lucescu were to be brought in it would be considered a massive accomplishment on Orman’s part.

An agreement in principle has already been reached with Bursaspor coach Şenol Güneş according to Günayer, however this has not yet been made official. Finalization of this deal has been put on hold untill president Fikret Orman gives the go ahead, which is dependant on his attempts to sign Mircea Lucescu.

If Şenol Güneş is brought in a goalkeeper transfer will likely not take place, there will also be an increased possibility that the Black Eagles will sign Fernando Belluschi of Bursaspor.

A central defender, leftback, rightback and midfielder on are the agenda for next season in terms of transfers.

There has been no offer for Demba Ba on the contrary to what is being said in the media, there also is no official offer for Gökhan Töre but there have been contacts with his agent.

Contract talks with Atiba Hutchinson and Tomas Sivok have been put on hold, the board will await the appointment of a new coach prior to extending either player’s contract. The new coach will make the final decision whether to keep either player on his roster.*

*Firat Günayer only shed light on this from Beşiktaş’ point of view, however naturally Atiba Hutchinson and Tomas Sivok will be looking at other offers as long as Beşiktaş don’t put a new offer on the table. It is not unlikely that when Slaven Bilic is announced as new head coach of West Ham United that Atiba Hutchinson would be short to follow him. Tomas Sivok has already revealed that his former club Sparta Prague have been in contact with his manager and there also seems to be plenty of interest from other Süper Lig teams for his signature.

Follow me

Kaan Bayazit

Editor-in-chief at Beşiktaş International
Freelance sports writer specialized in Turkish football and Beşiktaş. Co-host of the Black Eagles podcast. Frequently featured in World Soccer Digest Japan and many other international media outlets. Following Turkish football for close to two decades. Proud father to Aedin.
Kaan Bayazit
Follow me