ZTK: Beşiktaş: 3 Sivas Belediyespor: 4

Updated: January 28, 2016

The Black Eagles lose their second consecutive game in the Turkish cup group stages after having already secured qualification to the next round. However, ending as the group’s second place team they will now have to play PTT 1. division side Bucaspor (away) rather than Süper Lig side Caykur Rizespor (at home).

Beşiktaş started the game as you would expect them to against a third division side, firmly in control and creating clear cut goal chances. But Cenk Tosun’s shots were not accurate enough at the beginning of the game as he was twice presented with the opening goal.

The Black Eagles continued to dominate while Sivas leaned back and defending compactly, but a rare ball over the top in the 32nd minute led to a mistake from Alexander Milosevic, he tried to control the ball but it bounced up just as he tried to do so, allowing attacker Ali to slip past him. In a panic, Milosevic pulled the emergency break, inside the penalty area, resulting in a red card and a penalty kick to the visitors. Ali converted the penalty calmly and put the visitors 1-0 up.

Beşiktaş didn’t look as if the setback hit them very hard and continued to create chances and dominate the game but could not find an equalizer before halftime.

Early int he second half the visitors even found a second goal, another rare sight of the Beşiktaş goal for them ended up in a corner kick, which indirectly led to the goal after bad marking in the box, 0-2 after 50 minutes.

After scoring a brace in the second half, Cenk Tosun turned provider just four minutes later and presented Gökhan Töre with an easy opportunity which he converted.

After scoring a brace in the second half, Cenk Tosun turned provider just four minutes later and presented Gökhan Töre with an easy opportunity which he converted.

Four minutes later Gökhan Töre was brought down right at the edge of the penalty area, the referee decided the foul was comitted just inside the box and pointed to the spot for a second time, this time in favour of the Black Eagles. Cenk Tosun converted from the spot and only six minutes later added a second to his total of the night, his 12th of the season in all competitions.

Beşiktaş completed the 10 man comeback four minutes later when Cenk Tosun turned provider and presented Gökhan Töre with the easy tap-in finish. Sivas Belediye spor needed to win this match in order to advance to the next stage of the cup tournament but the Black Eagles remained firmly in control, goalkeeper Serkan and simply bad finishing from the Eagles saw to it that the score remained only 3-2 despite a plethora of 100% chances with Ricardo Quaresma even missing an open goal.

And as the golden rule in football goes, if you don’t finish your chances it will come back to haunt you. A good through ball to Atilla saw him through the heart of the defence, the Sivas striker remained cool and went around Günay Güvenç to slot in the 3-3. And only two minutes later again Atilla was sent through inside the penalty area but this time Günay losed him down well enough to force him to the goalline, he however did manage to get off a shot and Günay did not manage to get a good touch on it, perhaps as a result of his earlier shoulder injury, regardless the score went from 3-2 to 3-4 in a matter of minutes completing a second comeback, this time for the visitors.

Beşiktaş pressed forward after the fourth from the visitors but it was as if they did not take it all too seriously, Sivas defended well enough to prevent a fourth goal and the Black Eagles did not seem to mind the loss too much as it means they will now face a second division team in the next round rather than Süper Lig rivals Rizespor.

The only difference is that Beşiktaş will have to go on the road for the next round as they finish second in the group, while the group winners will play their match in the final 16 at home.

Beşiktaş travel to Bucaspor while Sivas Belediyespor host Caykur Rizespor in the next round.


Stadium: Atatürk Olimpiyat

Officials: Murat Özcan, Vedat Demir, Cüneyt Taner, Burak Kalkandelen (4. official)

Beşiktaş: Günay, Serdar, Rhodolfo (72′ Beck), Milosevic, Tosic (84′ Mustafa), Veli (62′ Quaresma), Necip, Kerim, Sosa, Gökhan, Cenk

Reserves: Hüseyin, Beck, Quaresma, Mustafa

Head coach: Şenol Güneş

Sivas Belediyespor: Serkan, Murat, Adem, Volkan, Seyid (85′ Yakup), Aykut (61′ Nuri), Berkay, Burak, Ali, Ozan (64′ Enes), Atilla

Reserves: Osman, Nuri, Yakup, Ömer, Ali, Enes, Niyazi

Head coach: Zafer Turan

Goals: Ali (34′ Pen.), Seyid (51′), Cenk (54′ Pen., 60′), Gökhan (64′), Atilla (79′, 82′)

Yellow cards: Adem (27′), Sosa (90′), Murat (90+2′), Nuri (90+3′)

Red card: Milosevic (33′)

Follow me

Kaan Bayazit

Editor-in-chief at Beşiktaş International
Freelance sports writer specialized in Turkish football and Beşiktaş. Co-host of the Black Eagles podcast. Frequently featured in World Soccer Digest Japan and many other international media outlets. Following Turkish football for close to two decades. Proud father to Aedin.
Kaan Bayazit
Follow me